Friday, January 24, 2020

Baked Potato Topped with Mixed Veggies and Ranch Dressing


Baked Potato Topped with Mixed Veggies and Ranch Dressing


I have a fun sort of childhood memory about Ranch Salad Dressing. I don’t recall having Ranch Salad Dressing until I was at least 10 years old (I know that because we moved from California to Oregon when I was nine years old and I can remember my mom making Ranch Dressing in our new home).  My mom made the Ranch Salad Dressing with the dry packet mix and I think she had to add buttermilk and mayonnaise. She always made the dressing in a translucent green square-shaped Tupperware container so we called the dressing “Square Box Dressing” instead of Ranch Dressing.  That’s my funny story about Ranch Salad Dressing.

Sometimes I think I come up with some odd or unconventional ideas for meals and this is certainly an example. A few weeks ago, I started to make a vegan version of Ranch Salad Dressing.  The recipe can be found HERE on a blog called “Forks Over Knives”.   I decided to make a baked potato and I topped it with some mixed vegetables (from a bag of frozen), Ranch Salad Dressing, and hemp seeds.  Yep, sounds like an odd recipe and would you think I was even more odd if I told you I like this for breakfast?  It’s good!

So this is not much of a recipe but more of an idea for a ridiculously healthy, easy, and inexpensive plant-based meal.

BAKED POTATO TOPPED WITH MIXED VEGGIS AND RANCH DRESSING

Ingredients:

1 baked russet potato
About 3/4 cup cooked mixed vegetables
Vegan Ranch dressing *
Hemp seeds

* The Vegan Ranch Salad Dressing can be made with or without salsa which I discovered by accident (I forgot to add the salsa the first time I made the dressing... Oops!).  Above, you can see the dressing made without salsa which I prefer when topping baked potatoes.

I think you could really get creative with this meal idea.  Steamed broccoli and Ranch Dressing on a baked potato would be good.  I bet corn, black beans, diced avocado, and Ranch Dressing WITH Salsa would be another really good combination.  I bet I will come up with some other great combinations in the future. I’ll be sure to keep you posted!

No comments: