Saturday, January 4, 2020

Jalapeño Hummus






Jalapeño Hummus

There’s a little mound of  Jalapeño Hummus in the photo above.  This is one of three new recipes I tried yesterday. I’ve recently changed to a plant based diet and my husband is motivated to try more plant based recipes as well. In the photo above you can also see some homemade pita bread and some  Spicy Ranch dressing.  Here is the Spicy Ranch dressing recipe:  



The pita recipe comes from a new cookbook I found at Barnes & Noble Bookstore a few weeks ago. You can see the book below. This pita dough was great to work with and the pita is delicious. 




My husband enjoyed tearing up the pita and dipping it into the hummus. The hummus was very spicy hot. Next time I’ll use less jalapeño. I kept asking my husband if he liked the Spicy Ranch dressing and he said he just wasn’t sure because his taste buds were a bit on fire from the hummus. 

I made dinner with the homemade pita and hummus. There’s a lot going on in the photo below and I don’t think all the ingredients are visible. It’s a pita smeared with the hummus and topped with carrot, cucumber, avocado, black olives, tomato, and lettuce. It was delicious.  



The recipe I followed called for tahini. I left it out since we like hummus without tahini. I opted to use less garlic and cumin than called for in the original recipe as well. I considered using less jalapeño; I should have followed that hunch. Next time I will use three small jalapeños instead of four rather large jalapeños!  Yowza!!!


Original Recipe link:  

Here is my modified version of the recipe:

JALAPEÑO HUMMUS

Ingredients
  • 3 medium jalapeño peppers (I used 4... really HOT, use even less if desired)
  • 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat your broiler.
  2. Put on gloves. Cut the peppers in half, and remove stems and seeds.
  3. Place the pepper halves on a baking sheet, skin sides up, and place them under the broiler.
  4. Broil the peppers for 5-10 minutes, watching them closely and checking frequently to avoid burning. 
  5. Remove the baking sheet from under the broiler when skins start to bubble. Set it aside to allow the peppers to cool while you get everything else together.
  6. Place all other ingredients into a food processor bowl and process until smooth and creamy.
  7. Remove the skins from the peppers once they are cool enough to handle. This should be pretty easy after roasting.  I recommend wearing gloves for this step as well. 
  8. Coarsely chop the jalapeños. Add the jalapeños to the food processor and pulse until peppers are chunky and distributed throughout the hummus. 
  9. Serve with pita bread or tortilla chips.



No comments: