Friday, January 3, 2020

One Pot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup (Vegan)

One Pot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup (Vegan)
My lovely friend, Harriet, had me over for lunch the other day and she made this amazing soup.  So many complex flavors, so creamy, so healthy!

The recipe comes from a blog called "Minimalist Baker".  As written, the recipe is not vegan/vegetarian, but it is easily adaptable.  Just leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth. Easy peasy, right?  I made a number of changes to the recipe so I am providing the original recipe link and my version below.  I added extra ginger and extra pumpkin puree. I substituted Rotel in place of fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies (I could not find that at the grocery store).  The original recipe calls for 1 to 2 cups of broth and I did not want any leftovers, so I used an entire can which is about 1 3/4 cups broth.  In my soup I used full fat coconut milk which made my soup very rich. The original recipe calls for lite canned coconut milk, so either can be used. I did not top my soup with cilantro but I must say that fresh lime juice in this soup is really great; I think it helps cut the fattiness of the coconut milk. I did not add my lime juice to the soup; I am enjoying each bowl of reheated soup with a fresh squeeze of lime juice.  Yum!

One Pot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup 

Original Recipe link here:  
https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-pumpkin-black-bean-soup/

Ingredients


  • 2 tsp avocado oil 
  • 1 ½ cups diced white or yellow onion (I used 1 sweet onion)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of finely minced fresh ginger root 
  • 1 medium jalapeño, minced (seeds and stem removed)
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled, diced 
  • 1 10-oz can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies) 
  • 1 14-oz can vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder 
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander 
  • 1 14-oz can Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk, full fat (very rich... may substitute lite canned coconut milk) 
  • 1 15-oz can pumpkin pureé  
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 3 cups chopped greens (I used about 4 ounces of baby spinach) 

 Instructions


  1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion and sauté until translucent — about 4-5 minutes — stirring occasionally.
  2. Add minced garlic, ginger, and jalapeño and continue cooking for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add diced sweet potato and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, broth, cumin, chili powder, and coriander, and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender (about 5-10 minutes).
  4. Add coconut milk, pumpkin purée, drained black beans. Cover, return to a simmer, and cook for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
  5. Stir in chopped greens (optional), cover, and cook on low until wilted (about 3-5 minutes).
  6. Squeeze a wedge of fresh lime into each bowl of soup.

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

That looks yummy!...perfect for this cold rainy weather we've been having...
~Have a lovely day!

Harriet Balhiser said...

I just saw your post. I am so glad you enjoyed enough to make some.
It is a yummy recipe. Thank you for sharing the recipes you try and your feedback.