Thursday, January 2, 2020

Simple Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan)


Simple Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan)

In mid-November 2019, I decided to transition to a whole foods, plant based (WFPB) diet. I was compelled to do so after being told my cholesterol levels are still high after maintaining a 30 pound weight loss in the past few years.  When my blood work was taken for the most recent test, I had been following a Whole30 Meal Template and admittedly I was eating a lot of higher cholesterol foods such as eggs and chicken thighs.  A lot!

Since transitioning to a WFPB diet, I have felt amazing.  I really thought I would be hungry all the time or perhaps tired from not having enough protein, but that has not been the case at all. I feel great and I have a ton of energy. I'll have my cholesterol levels checked again in a few weeks and I am anxious to see if changing my diet has improved my cholesterol levels.

I think my husband has been inspired by seeing how great I've felt after eliminating all animal products from my diet. The other day, he was asking if I could make some oatmeal cookies and I was surprised when he asked me to make him some vegan oatmeal cookies.  I found this recipe and he loves these cookies. I think they are great too!  I am sure we'll make these cookies frequently; they are so wholesome I think they would be great even for breakfast.  My husband thinks they would be good if I added in some chopped pecans.  I think I'd like to really go crazy with "add ins" in my cookies... raisins, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds sound good to me.


HERE IS THE RECIPE LINK:


Here is the recipe for SIMPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

Author: Jessica Verma

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked rolled oats make sure to use GF oats if you can't have any gluten
  • 3/4 cups All-Purpose GF Flour
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup safflower canola, or other neutral oil
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
  • About 3/4 of a medium banana
  • 1/2 cup raisins optional - you could also add nuts, or chocolate chips

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl - make sure to blend it well enough that there's no chunks of banana.
  • Place rounded spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 7-10 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let the cookies finish baking on the cookie sheet for about 5 more minutes. Enjoy!



No comments: