Friday, August 6, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Walnuts and Millet

Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Walnuts & Millet
RECIPE:

3/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour **
1 teaspoon salt (I use kosher salt)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup millet
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons yeast (I used Fleishman's Bread Machine yeast)

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Remove bread pan from machine. Put water and oil in bread pan.

2. Add remaining ingredients in the order listed. (**When measuring the whole wheat flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then sweep to level. Scooping the flour from the canister or bag with the measuring cup tends to compact the flour and may make your bread too dry.)

3. Place bread pan in machine and bake according to your machine's instructions. (On my Sunbeam machine, I use the whole wheat setting, light crust, 1.5 pound loaf size and it comes out perfectly every time.)

I found a recipe awhile back for "meat" balls made from millet and cannelini beans in place of any meat.  I did find some millet at my local healthfood store so it got me to wondering how else I could use millet in recipes.  I checked out the website for Bob's Red Mill.  The folks at Bob's Red Mill suggested adding some millet to bread dough.  I made this bread last night and tried a slice this morning.   Although I know I've had bread with millet in the past, I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the texture of the millet.  To me, the millet did add a nice crunchy texture to the bread, but the millet seeds seemed a bit chalky. It got me to wondering if I should have rinsed the millet first or something.  Whatever the case may be, I like this bread and it was even better with peanut butter on it... of course!!!  If you don't think you will like this bread with millet, the millet can be omitted but I think an equal amound of untoasted sesame seeds would be really good in this bread. 

Bob's website contained the following information about the healthful benefits of millet:

 

"Hulled Millet is often referred to as birdseed, however, it is very nutritious for humans as well as birds. Like rice, millet is a staple food of the Far East. It is easily digested because it is alkaline whereas most other grains are acidic. Use millet to make a delicious cereal, prepare and serve just like you would steamed rice, or add a half cup to your favorite yeast bread recipe for a delicious crunchy texture."  Hmmm.... I wonder if the ALKALINE quality of millet is what I found to be chalky.

No comments: