Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blender Mania! Smoothie #1 and Smoothie #2

If you are following along, you'll know that I have a new toy new essential kitchen appliance... a lovely Kitchenaid blender.  It's what I wanted for our 20th wedding anniversary in March.  I am constantly on the look out for any and every excuse to try out my new blender ever since I pulled it out of the box this past Saturday.  After some great success with waffle batter, I moved on to smoothies.  I know there are a gazillion smoothie recipes out there, so perhaps these will not be totally new concepts... but maybe I'll come up with a new combination of flavors that will have you wanting to dust the cobwebs of your blender and take it for a spin. You'll have to forgive me, but I have a difficult enough time getting out the door to get to work on time, so I missed a photo opportunity for Smoothie #1 but here's the recipe:

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie (Smoothie #1)
1 banana, broken into a few chunks
1/2 cup milk, more our less as desired
3 to 4 ice cubes (next time I'll omit the ice cubes and use frozen banana chunks instead)
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used the health food store kind which is just ground roasted nuts)
a few squirts of Hershey's chocolate syrup (sorry... I don't MEASURE before 6:00 a.m.)

Blend in blender, pour into glass, insert straw (I recommend/prefer the "bendy" kind of straw... hee, hee!), and slurp away! 

Comments:  Uhhhh, yum!  Do you think Elvis would like this?

Peach, Banana, and Strawberry Fruit Smoothie (Smoothie #2)
3/4 cup (approximate) frozen peach slices
1 banana, broken into a few chunks
4 or 5 fresh strawberries
1 small carton of vanilla yogurt

Blend in a blender, pour into a glass... enjoy!

Comments:  Wow!  I felt as if I was drinking something really good for me... which of course makes me very happy.  Probably the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of fruit in one glass!  I had tons of energy for hours after having this for breakfast.   I did use Dannon Light and Fit 80 calorie yogurt in this, but in the future, I'll use a different kind.  To me, I did not care for the artificial sweetener flavor in the yogurt.  For the peaches... I froze a few pounds of peach slices with a sprinkle sugar this past summer... a gift from someone's yard... I've finally found a great use for these peaches...

Smoothie #2

More smoothie recipes another day...

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love your smoothie ideas!