TRIPLE LEMON COOKIES
|Divide the dough in half, shape into two rectangular logs, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate dough logs so it's easier to slice the cookies.|
|Bake until cookie edges and bottoms turn light golden brown.|
|While cookies are still slightly warm, dust with powdered sugar (using a sifter or fine mesh strainer).|
1 cup Crisco butter flavored shortening (I use the Crisco shortening stick... very handy)
1 cup plus three tablespoons powdered sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
zest of 2 lemons (finely grated zest from two lemons... Microplane graters are my tool of choice)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (one medium to large sized lemon yields 3 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Additional powdered sugar to dust on cookie tops
1. Using a stand mixer or a hand held mixer, on low speed, cream the shortening and the 1 cup and 3 tablespoons powdered sugar in a large-sized mixing bowl until well combined. Add the egg, vanilla, lemon extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat on medium speed for approximately 1 to 2 minutes or until well combined.
2. Measure the flour and salt into a separate medium-sized mixing bowl; stir with a whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture all at once. Beat on low speed just until combined; do not over mix.
3. Tear off two sheets of wax paper or parchment paper, each measuring approximately 18 inches in length. Divide dough in half and place each half on one piece of wax or parchment paper.
4. Shape dough, with hands, into a rectangular, log-shape which measures approximately 11 inches (length) by 2 inches (width) by 1 inch (height). Repeat with second half of dough. Wrap the dough logs in the wax or parchment paper; fold the ends under so the dough does not dry out. Place the dough logs into the refrigerator to chill (approximately 1 hour).
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and unwrap. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough crosswise into ½-inch thick slices. Place the cookies, cut side down, on the lined cookie sheets; bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly brown. Cool cookies 2 to 3 minutes on baking sheets; transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. When cookies are room temperature, sprinkle additional powdered sugar through fine-mesh strainer or sieve over cookies.
Store cookies in an airtight container.
I came up with this triple-lemon cookie recipe when my in-laws started to mail us boxes of lemons from their backyard in Tucson, Arizona. Thank you for the lovely lemons!
|UP NEXT... Lemon Bread with and without poppy seeds...|