Friday, April 8, 2011

Alfalfa Sprouts!

Over Spring Break a few weeks ago, we went to Tucson, Arizona, to visit family.  We ate at a LOT of great restaurants, one of which is a Tucson-based sandwich shop called "Beyond Bread".  If they had these shops in my area, I'd be a regular patron.  While there I sampled some great whole grain bread with lots of seeds and nuts.  I am experimenting with a recipe with sunflower seeds, millet, sesame seeds, flax seeds, flax meal, and other great ingredients, but that recipe still needs some work.

At "Beyond Bread", I had a sandwich which was smashed avocado, turkey, and alfalfa sprouts on a huge cibiatta roll.  The sprouts reminded me that, when I was a kid, we used to grow sprouts on the counter top in a canning jar.  Thinking about it got me to looking up the process on the Internet so I could go about growing sprouts again.  I did not remember a lot of the steps.  I found the seeds at Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocer's in the produce section (they had quite a few options for sprouts but I settled on good 'ol alfalfa sprouts since I know I like them).  I started the sprouts on Saturday and was enjoying them by Wednesday evening.  I grew 1 1/2 tablespoons of seeds this time around and the jar was packed. Next time around, I will sprout just 1 tablespoon of seeds.  For now, they are in the refrigerator and I am enjoying them on sandwiches and salads. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! I can't wait to get me some when I am in Colorado Springs. Harriet

affectioknit said...

We love sprouts here too...YUM!