Saturday, October 1, 2011

Zucchini Cheddar Corn Muffins


Zucchini Cheddar Corn Muffins


Not too long ago, I saw a recipe on the Internet which consisted of making low fat corn muffins and adding slices of low fat hot dogs.  Get it??? Corn dog muffins!  I was considering making my own version of this recipe this weekend but kept eyeing the zucchini sitting on my counter top.  I contemplated adding some zucchini to some corn dog muffins but by the time I actually started mixing and grating and measuring, I switched gears altogether.  The end result was some tasty corn muffins with grated zucchini and grated sharp cheddar cheddar mixed in.  I love 'em!  I even got my teenage son to eat one... without griping TOO much. 

Adapted from a recipe on my canister of Quaker Brand Yellow Corn Meal:

Zucchini Cheddar Corn Muffins

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely grated sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese (my son said there should be more cheese and less zucchini)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup coarsely grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spray (12) muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray such as PAM.
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl; combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Gently fold together until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over stir.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; muffin cups will be quite full.  Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown on the edges of the muffins and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Enjoy! 

No comments: