Sunday, November 27, 2011

Crockpot Pumpkin Chicken Chili

When I saw this recipe posted on a blog called "Cinnamon Girl Recipes" and I saw that I had nearly all of the ingredients on hand, I had to make it.  The recipe link can be found HERE.  I think I made the soup pretty much as directed but at the very end, I added about a teaspoon of granulated sugar. When I was first sampling the soup as I was portioning it out (I froze half of the soup right away), I was a bit concerned the soup was a bit too spicy and a bit too acidic.  Today, I had the soup for lunch with a dollop of sour cream, and that seems to have done the trick.  Not too spicy... delicious!  I would have preferred some plain yogurt in place of the sour cream, but sour cream is what I had on hand.  This soup is terriffic!  I am really glad I tried it. 

Here is the recipe from http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/
I tell you, everything on this blog I have tried is VERY good!
The blog seems to be a bit slow to load today, but it's worth the wait.
I'll try to post a photo of my soup.

Crockpot Pumpkin Chicken Chili
from http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/
1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted tomatoes)
1 can (14 ounce) pumpkin puree
2 cups chicken broth (I used 1 can broth plus 1/4 cup water)
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed, minced, optional
1 + 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or cutlets, skin and visible fat removed
1 heaping cup dried chickpeas or 2 cans (14 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn kernels, if frozen, thawed (I left this out)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (I left this out but it would be good)
Toppings:  sour cream (*), shredded cheddar, guacamole/avocado, green onions and/or tortilla chips, for serving (I used sour cream but yogurt would be awesome too).
1. To a 4 or 5 quart crockpot add tomatoes, chicken broth and pumpkin. Whisk until well combined; add onion, garlic, chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chipotles; combine well. Add chicken, chickpeas and corn. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 on low.
2. When ready to serve remove chicken and chop into bite-size pieces or shred with two forks. Add back to pot, stir in cilantro and serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, green onions, guacamole and/or tortilla chips.
Makes 6 servings

12-01-2011 Added a photo of the last bowl of soup (the other half of the soup is in the freezer... yay!).
(*) I just wanted to add that I am really loving this soup.  For me, the key to this soup is definitely the addition of a little sour cream (or plain yogurt) to each bowl and swirling it in just before you eat it. 

No comments: