Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Swedish Meatballs Just Like at IKEA!




I do post original recipes here on my blog quite a bit, but sometimes I get to reading the food blog of another and I wonder why I even bother.  Well, of course I know why... I enjoying sharing... but sometimes I think there are so many great, great blogs out there.  Their recipes look great, their photography is beautiful, their cooking is innovative, and the baking is creative, and I want to make all the dishes and treats on those blog.  Seriously, someday you might just log into my blog and you'll be redirected to the food blog of another and I'll encourage you to go there instead of here.  Lately, I've been in AWE of the recipes on "Cinnamon Girl Recipes" at http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/
Ikea’s Swedish Meatballs
(My slight alterations are underlined)
For the meatballs:
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used Italian style breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Kosher salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 + 1/4 pound ground beef
1 large egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
Vegetable oil, for brushing (or non-stick cooking spray)
*For the gravy:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth (I used a can of broth which is closer to 2 cups)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I added a little extra)
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used half and half)
sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound egg noodles (or mashed potatoes) I used quick-cooking corkscrew shaped pasta
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I omitted)
Lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce, for serving (I omitted)
1. Add bread crumbs to a large bowl. In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter; add onion, garlic, allspice,1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook until onion is tender. Whisk in milk and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Pour this mixture over the breadcrumbs and stir to make a thick paste; allow to cool then mix in the ground beef, egg and egg white with a fork until well combined.
2. Grease a large baking sheet lightly with vegetable oil (or line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray). Roll the meat into 1-inch balls and place close but not touching on the baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the meatballs about 20 minutes or until cooked through to centers.  (At this point, I allowed the meatballs to cool and then put the meatballs in a gallon-sized zip close plastic storage bag and refrigerated them).
4. Meanwhile (or when ready to serve later in the week), cook the noodles in plenty of salted water according to package directions and make the gravy.  To make the gravy, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth, whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a simmer; add the meatballs to warm through.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper; stir in cream (or half and half), sprinkle with parsley (if desired). Serve over noodles with lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce, if desired.

*If serving over noodles you may want to double the sauce.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/2011/11/almost-famous-ikeas-swedish-meatballs.html

I am telling you, everything this gal makes looks incredible.  I saw her recipe for Swedish Meatballs which are supposed to be like the Swedish Meatballs served at the Ikea Stores.  Yum!  Did you know Ikea Stores have a restaurant inside?  I did not know that until we stumbled across and went inside the new Ikea Store in Denver, Colorado, in Summer 2011.  The stores feel more like an airport terminal... they are that big.  Apparently, they have restaurtants because it takes so long to get through the store and they don't want you to leave when you get hungry, so they have a cafeteria style restaurant right in the store.  How crazy is that? 

The link to the great looking "Almost Famous Ikea's Swedish Meatballs" can be found HERE. 

I made this recipe this weekend and I am in love with it.  I made and baked  meatballs on Friday and then refrigerated them.  On Saturday, for dinner, I simmered the meatballs in the sauce/gravy to warm them through BEFORE I added the cream (half-n-half) to the sauce/gravy.  I made some noodles while the meatballs warmed.   Delicious. A nice change of pace from old, worn out recipe.  Great for my lunches this week! 

No comments: