Sunday, October 28, 2012

Yesterday Fall... Today Winter! Three PUMPKIN recipes


Why, the weather seems to have changed over night.  Just the other day I was posting photos of autumn leaves and now we've had our first dusting of snow in Southern Colorado. Brrrrrrr.  It's a good weekend to try out some pumpkin recipes. Ever notice how there are so many recipes which call for just a bit of canned pumpkin puree?  What do you do with the rest of the canned pumpkin?  I don't want to be wasteful.  This weekend, I set out to make three pumpkin recipes. They all turned out great!  My slight changes are noted within the recipes and the original recipe sources are listed.  Nope, I can't take credit for any of these great recipes.
Pumpkin-Spiced White Chicken Chili

www.feastonthecheap.net
http://feastonthecheap.net/pumpkin-spiced-white-chicken-chili/

Ingredients:
About 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size chunks (I used 1 large breast)
3 15-oz cans of Cannellini beans (or Great Northerns), drained and rinsed
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 4-oz cans of chopped green chiles
3 heaping Tablespoons of canned 100% pumpkin
2 cups fresh or frozen corn (I omitted)
3 cloves of garlic, minced or smashed
1 ¾ cup low-salt chicken stock
1 12-oz can of low-fat evaporated milk (I used 1 ½ cups 1% milk)
4 Tablespoons of olive oil (I used PAM non-stick cooking spray instead to cut fat/calories)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
Salt and pepper to taste (I added about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar)
2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped (optional – I omitted)
3/4 cup sharp cheddar, grated (optional – I omitted); instead, I am topping each bowl of soup with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.

Directions:

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Chop into bite-size chunks. Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and a pinch of chili powder.

2. In a large heavy skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or PAM) over med-high heat. Saute the chicken until starting to brown on all sides and cooked through (no longer pink inside). About 5 minutes.

3. In a large stock pot, saute the onion in two tablespoons of olive oil (or PAM) until soft and tender (about 8 minutes). Stir frequently to avoid burning. Add the garlic, green chiles and all the dry spices – stir another 5 minutes.

4. Add the cooked chicken, beans, corn, stock, milk and pumpkin. Combine well and simmer for about 30 minutes. Taste from time to time and adjust seasonings as desired. If you accidentally over-salt, add a few tablespoons of water and continue simmering.

5. Garnish with cilantro and cheddar or plain Greek yogurt (if desired) and serve hot.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this soup!  The left-overs are much lunches for the week.



Pumpkin Waffles
www.myrecipes.com
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-waffles-10000000521607/

1 cup all purpose flour (next time I will use whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger (this was my addition)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
½ cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Pam non-stick cooking spray

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (milk through egg) in a bowl, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist.

Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray; preheat. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading the batter to the edges. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.

Kim's note:  These waffles are AWESOME with a schmear of peanut butter and some maple syrup drizzled over the top.  Odd, I know...but I am weird like that!  Also, this waffle batter seemed a bit thin to me.  I had to cook the waffles extra long... the first waffle was a bit soggy.  No worries though... I am freezing these waffles and toasting them in the toaster for quick breakfast.



Not the prettiest waffle (this was the first attempt... did not cook it long enough)... but... Ohhhh, so tasty!


At last, but not least, some granola. I had so much confidence in this recipe, I made a double batch!

Easy Pumpkin Spiced Granola

www.skinnytaste.com
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/easy-pumpkin-spiced-granola.html

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and pat dry with paper towel
• 1 1/2 cups rolled oats*
• 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
• 1/4 cup pepitas and 1/4 cup chopped pecans
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries (I omitted)
• 1/4 cup real maple syrup (or honey)
• 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
• 1 tsp oil (coconut or canola)
• 1 tsp pumpkin spice (or more to taste... I looked on line for a pumpkin spice recipe)
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
• pinch kosher salt (I omitted)
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°F.

Spread oats* and quinoa out on a parchment lined baking pan. Toast in the oven 10 minutes, stirring once.

Remove the oats from the oven, pour the toasted oats into a medium bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, pepitas, pecans and dried fruit.

Reduce oven to 300° F.

In a second medium bowl, combine maple syrup, pumpkin puree, oil, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour over oats and stir together with a spatula. Spread back onto a baking sheet and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until golden.  Makes 3 2/3 cups granola.  *Use gluten free oats for gluten allergies.


Note from Kim: My granola seemed moist (and not crisp) after only baking for 20 minutes. I turned off the oven and closed the door to let the oven continue to dehydrate the granola. I checked it frequently and stirred it occasionally until it was crunchy and I no longer detected moisture.  Also, this was the first time I used quinoa seeds in granola and also the first time I've toasted the oats before adding the wet ingredients. I love seeing new ideas like this.



There you have it. Three great pumpkin recipes and I did not even use one can of pumpkin. On the Internet, I also spied some great looking Crockpot Pumpkin Spice Latte recipes, as well as some healthified Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies (where the pumpkin puree was used in the place of applesauce).  Hmmm, I still have a few tablespoons of pumpkin puree left. 

What do you like to do with pumpkin puree?

No comments: