Sunday, December 23, 2012

From "The Lean Green Bean": Cheesy Mexican Quinoa




I have been enjoying a blog called The Lean Green Bean for a few months now.  The blogger responsible for the site is a very energetic young gal who is in school to be a registered dietician I believe.  I get lots of healthy-eating and smart-snacking ideas from the recipes and information she posts.  This recipe was right up my alley since I love all the ingredients. As an added bonus, I only had to pick up two things at the store... baked tortilla chips and some pepper jack cheese.

The original recipe can be found HERE.
I made very few changes.  I omitted the corn and added extra black beans.  I used pepper jack cheese in place of these cheese listed in the recipe... we love pepper jack cheese.

Cheesy Mexican Quinoa from www.theleangreenbean.com

Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
  • 1/2 c onion, diced (I used almost an entire onion)
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced (I used a yellow pepper)
  • 2 c black beans, cooked (I used two 14.5 ounce black beans, rinsed and drained)
  • 1/2 c corn kernels (I omitted)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tsp cumin (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I was chicken... I used just 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 2 c quinoa, cooked
  • 1 c grated/shredded low-fat cheese (I used pepper jack cheese)
  • 1 c skim milk (I used 1 percent milk)
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • Toppings: tomato & avocado (I used diced Roma tomatoes)
Instructions
1. In a pan, saute the onions, peppers, garlic and spices until softened.
2. Add the black beans, corn (if using), quinoa, and mix well.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
4. In the same pan, melt the butter, then add the flour.
5. Slowly add the milk and stir constantly to minimize lumps.
6. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
7. Add the quinoa mixture and the spices and stir until mixed well.
8. Transfer mixture to a greased casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
9. Top with tomatoes (and avocado if using)
10.  Eat with baked tortilla chip... Tostitos brand Baked Scoop Chips were awesome with this.



I am sure I will lose credibility
if I refer to each and every recipe
I post about as being "my new favorite recipe"... but seriously, this recipe ROCKS!  My husband really liked it too.  A meatless meal, imagine that!?

1 comment:

Biz said...

Sans the onion, this sounds delicious! I might make this for me and my SIL for our lunches next week - thanks for the recipe! :D