Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Blueberry-Banana Smoothie


If you've been following along, you know I splurged and got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for Christmas.  I made some Blueberry Frozen Yogurt a few weeks back.  I had mixed results with this recipe. The recipe called for frozen fruit puree, plain yogurt, and sugar.  I simply put frozen fruit (blueberries), yogurt, and sugar in a big bowl and used my hand-held immersion blender to pulse the mixture. Unfortunately, this was not enough to break down the tough skins on my "sort of old" frozen blueberries.  Live and learn, right?!  I did not like the idea of wasting these ingredients, so I froze the Blueberry Yogurt and decided it would be just fine for eating if I used it to make smoothies.  Sure enough, it worked out just fine.  For the smoothie above, I put some of the Frozen Blueberry Yogurt in the blender with a splash of milk and a ripe banana and it was great.  Very, very filling in fact.

In retrospect, I was wishing I would have put the Frozen Blueberry Yogurt in my ice cube trays.  How great would it be to have these chunks of frozen yogurt at the ready to throw in the blender with fruit to make smoothies!?


I will definitely make this recipe again, I just learned I need to pulverize the fruit much, much better. I have some peaches in my freezer from a friend's orchard.  That will be my next batch. For now, I am enjoying this beautiful blueberry stuff.


Amazing COLOR, right!?


 
Frozen Fruit Yogurt for Ice Cream Machine... recipe link is HERE.
 
2 cups pureed fruit (I used 2 cups frozen blueberries)
2 cups plain yogurt (I used Mountain High brand "low fat")
2/3 cups granulated sugar
 
Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Chill for several hours.
Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Frozen yogurt will be soft; for firmer texture, put in a plastic storage container
with a tight fitting lid and freeze for until desired texture.

No comments: