Saturday, February 9, 2013

Dirty Rice

 
Dirty Rice
 
 
I always love it when the newspaper has inserts... I've seen the "Parade" magazine in newspapers for years but sometimes I also find an insert called "Relish".  I love to read all the recipes but I seldom actually make them.  Last weekend, the recipes seemed to be all New Orleans or Cajun cuisine.  Maybe because the Super Bowl was in New Orleans last weekend.  Just about all of the recipes looked good. I decided to make the recipe for Dirty Rice and I really liked it.  I made this with Blackened Fish, which is a dish we tried in New Orleans when we went there for Spring Break a few years back. I've been making Blackened Fish ever since. 
 
I altered the recipe just a bit. I did not use any added oil or butter (the recipe called for 2 tablespoons canola oil), I left out the chicken livers (so I doubled the amount of pork called for), and I also omitted the fresh parsley because I had none on hand.
 
Recipe adapted from "Relish" newspaper insert.  According to "Relish", the original recipe source is Donald Link's "Real Cajun Cookbook" (Clarkson Potter, 2009)
 
 
Dirty Rice
 
4 ounces ground pork (I used 8 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped (I used 2 Serrano peppers)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 cups cooked white rice (I used basmati rice)
1/2 bunch green onions white and green parts), chopped
 
In a large skillet, cook and crumble pork, until browned.  Add salt, black pepper, and chili powder.  Cook, stirring occasionally.  The meat will stick to the pan and get crusty.
 
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and cook until it has evaporated, allowing meat to get brown and crusty and stick to the pan once again. 
 
Add onion, celery, jalapeno, and oregano; cook, stirring until vegetables are browned and crusty and beginning to stick.  Add garlic and cook for another minute or two (I avoid adding garlic too soon for fear it will get bitter if cooked on too high of heat). 
 
Add rice, remaining broth, and green onions. Stir until the liquid is absorbed and rice is heated through. Serves 8.

 
 

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Yum! Looks wonderful!!