Friday, August 2, 2013

Make Your Own Oatmeal Packets

 
Make Your Own Oatmeal Packets: Cinnamon, Raisin, and Pecan
 
 
Having a new puppy has been keeping me busy.  On my days off, I often hop out of  bed, throw on clothes, put my hair in a baseball cap, and head out the door to take Sandy for a walk before brushing my teeth or having any thing to eat and EVEN before COFFEE.  Crazy, I know!!!  I just run out the door and go!   I just hope I don't bump into anyone I know or else they'll notice my morning breath.  Doh!
 
Since I am on the go first thing in the morning, make-ahead breakfast ideas get my attention. Of course, make-ahead ideas for breakfast are great for work days, too.  I saw the idea to make Healthy Instant Oatmeal Packets on a blog called "The Yummy Life".  On the blog, she includes make-ahead instructions for hot oatmeal and cold refrigerator oats; I like both varieties.  I also found this idea appealing because I find the packaged oatmeal packets to bee TOO SWEET.
 
I had all in ingredients on hand except for the quick cooking oats.  I went to the store and then assembled these oatmeal "packets" in no time at all. 



The flavor combinations for these make ahead packets are endless.  I made Cinnamon Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Packets.

Cinnamon Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Packets
from "The Yummy Life" www.theyummylife.com

Ingredients

1/3 cup rolled oats (instant or quick); old fashioned oats may be used for microwave and refrigerator oatmeal
1 teaspoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed (I used ground flax seeds)
2 teaspoons powdered milk (omit for non-dairy, vegan)
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
raisins
chopped pecans

 
Directions
Combine basic recipe ingredients in individual zip top bags. Add additional flavor ingredients, if desired--see suggestions below.
 
To prepare 1 serving of hot oatmeal:
BOILING WATER METHOD (not recommended for old fashioned oats): Add 1 oatmeal packet to mug or bowl. Pour in 2/3 cups boiling water and stir. Let instant oats stand for 3-4 minutes to soften and thicken; stir, and they are ready to eat. Quick oats may need to soften an additional minute or two.
MICROWAVE METHOD: Add 1 oatmeal packet and 3/4 cup cold water to microwave safe mug or bowl. (The container needs to be large enough to allow for mixture to expand while it cooks. It can bubble up and double in size in the microwave.) For instant oats, cook uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir, and it's ready to eat. For quick oats, cook on high for 2 minutes, let stand 2 minutes, stir, and it's ready to heat. NOTE: Microwave power and cooking times can vary; adjust cooking time if necessary.
 
To prepare 1 serving of refrigerator oatmeal:
Add one oatmeal packet to a pint or half-pint jar (or other covered container). Pour in 1/2 cup cold water, add 1/4 cup yogurt, cover tightly, and shake vigorously until well mixed. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, overnight, or up to 3 days.
 
Monica on The Yummy Life has a huge list of ideas for a wide variety of flavor combinations. She also offers lots of suggestions for types of sweeteners to use.  I would like to get some dehydrated orange peel to make Cranberry Orange Oatmeal packets. 
 
For more ideas, I really encourage you to check out "The Yummy Life!"
 
 

No comments: