Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Apple Oatmeal Streusel Muffins


Apple oatmeal streusel muffin. Aren't they pretty. They are tasty too. They taste like fall. As you can see from the photos below, thanks to our puppy, Sandy, I have definitely been enjoying the great outdoors a lot lately. Still finding time to cook and bake... Just not much time for blogging.






















Isn't autumn beautiful here?  I sure hope you enjoying fall where you are!

Now, here's the recipe for these amazingly good muffins.

I made a double batch and froze these treats and have been enjoying them for weeks. I found the recipe on one my favorite blogs called "Cookie Madness" and the recipe link is HERE.

Apple-Oatmeal Muffins from Anna Ginsburg at Cookie Madness

Streusel Topping:

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter

Muffins:

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats – old fashioned or quick cooking (not instant)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup peeled and very finely chopped or shredded apple

Preheat oven to 400 degree F (*). Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.

Prepare topping. Stir together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. With a pastry cutter or two forks, cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside. I used my mini-food processor.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

Add liquid mixture and apples to flour mixture.

Divide evenly among muffin cups. Spoon about 1 tablespoon streusel mixture on top of each muffin.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden around edges.

(*) NOTE from Kim: I baked these for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F (instead of 400 degrees F as recommended in the recipe instructions). I think my pans are dark, which results in them getting done more quickly but I also live at high altitude which can impact baking time.

Another note... this streusel topping would be great on lots of different kinds of muffins (ie. blueberry muffins). I will definitely make this recipe again!

No comments: