Sunday, February 9, 2014

Little Ravioli Soup



 
I took this picture to help me remember what I put in this soup. Missing from the picture is a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and the spices I added the soup.
 

I found this package of Buitoni brand "Three Cheese Ravioletti" (9 ounce package) on clearance months ago.  I bought two and threw them in the freezer.  If you can't find these little ravioli, I am sure regular sized ravioli would be tasty in the soup.  The little ravioli are just nice in soup since they are bite-sized.  And also, the little ravioli are cute and it's a scientifically proven fact that cute food tastes better. 
 
Trust me!
 

Little Ravioli Soup

1 package (9 ounce size) Buitoni Three Chesse Ravioletti (Parmesan, Romano, and Ricotta cheeses)
1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound Italian sausage (I used 3 links Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage, casings removed)
1 bell pepper, diced (I used an orange one)
1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
1 can (14 ounce size) fire roasted diced tomatoes (may substitute diced tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups prepared, jarred tomato spaghetti sauce (I used Barilla Tomato & Basil sauce)
3 cups chicken broth (I used Organic Simple Truth brand from Kroger)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon  crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar

Prepare ravioletti (or ravioli) according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the sausage, cook and crumble until no pink remains.  Add in the diced bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes.  Add in the remaining ingredients (except the ravioletti or ravioli), bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce to simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.  Taste for seasoning. Add salt if desired.  I did not add any salt to this soup.

Add a little of the cooked ravioletti (or ravioli) to a soup bowl and ladle in hot soup. Enjoy!

Note:  I like to leave the ravioli and soup separate and just add a little bit of ravioli to each bowl of soup.  If you leave the ravioli in the soup and store it in the refrigerator, the pasta will continue to absorb more and more of the liquid from the soup and it alters the texture of the soup and  pasta... and not in a good way.  If you are feeding a large crowd and don't anticipate there being leftovers, feel free to add the cooked pasta to the soup.


No comments: