Photo from www.jeanetteshealthyliving.com
Turkey Taco Nacho Casserole
We had this for dinner last night and it was delicious. We made a few small changes to the recipe. I saw the recipe on a blog called "Jeannette's Healthy Living", which is a blog I really enjoy. I have tried a number of her recipes and I also get a lot of inspiration for healthier eating from what I see on Jeanette's blog. The recipe is posted HERE and is gluten-free if you make it to Jeanette's specifications. We were not worried about gluten so I made a few changes. We will definitely have this again! I encourage you to check out Jeanette's blog, too!
Turkey Taco Nacho Casserole adapted from www.jeanetteshealthyliving.com
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped (I used an orange pepper)
- 1 pound ground turkey (I used Jenni-O Taco Seasoned Ground Turkey)
- 1 packet Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce cans) black beans (rinse and drain)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce can) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- finely diced red or yellow onion
- non-fat Greek yogurt, plain low fat yogurt, or sour cream
- Baked Tostitos Scoops (corn tortilla chips)
- finely shredded romaine lettuce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large skillet, cook and crumble the ground turkey. When nearly cooked through, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Saute until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add taco seasoning, beans and tomato sauce. Stir well to combine. Cook until heated through.
Transfer to a casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13 x 2 pan). Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Serve with desired toppings.