Thursday, November 20, 2014

Turkey Taco Nacho Casserole

 
Turkey Taco Nacho Casserole
 
We had this for dinner last night and it was delicious. We made a few small changes to the recipe.  I saw the recipe on a blog called "Jeannette's Healthy Living", which is a blog I really enjoy.  I have tried a number of her recipes and I also get a lot of inspiration for healthier eating from what I see on Jeanette's blog. The recipe is posted HERE and is gluten-free if you make it to Jeanette's specifications. We were not worried about gluten so I made a few changes. We will definitely have this again! I encourage you to check out Jeanette's blog, too!
 
 
Turkey Taco Nacho Casserole adapted from www.jeanetteshealthyliving.com
Cook Time: 40 minutes
 
Ingredients
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped (I used an orange pepper)
  • 1 pound ground turkey (I used Jenni-O Taco Seasoned Ground Turkey)
  • 1 packet Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning
  • 2 (15 1/2 ounce cans) black beans (rinse and drain)
  • 1 (15 1/2 ounce can) tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
  • Toppings
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • finely diced red or yellow onion
  • non-fat Greek yogurt, plain low fat yogurt, or sour cream
  • Baked Tostitos Scoops (corn tortilla chips)
  • finely shredded romaine lettuce 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  
 
In a large skillet, cook and crumble the ground turkey. When nearly cooked through, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Saute until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes.  Add taco seasoning, beans and tomato sauce. Stir well to combine. Cook until heated through.
 
Transfer to a casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13 x 2 pan). Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
 
Serve with desired toppings.
 


No comments: