Sunday, December 28, 2014

Easy Spiced Nuts



Easy Spiced Nuts

I have wanted to try a recipe like this for ages. 



See recipe below... But first, some pretty sunrise photos for you. 











Like many folks, I have gotten addicted to looking at things on my iPhone. The other day, before I got out of bed, I was scrolling though things on Facebook. Somewhere along the line a few months ago, I "liked" a page called "Living on a Dime" (www.livingondime.com) and I am seeing some terrific ideas on that page. So the other morning, after seeing the recipe on Facebook, I popped out of bed and made this recipe. The house smelled like Christmas with the spiced nuts in the oven and, while I kept an eye on the toasting nuts in the oven, I kept an eye on the gorgeous sunrise you see in the photos above. This is the view I see out of the back of my house

I made the recipe as directed but I had a sneaking suspicion 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit was too hot/too long for my oven. I checked my nuts at just 10 minutes and they were already browing. I feard they would burn. I quickly put the nuts on to a clean sheet of aluminum foil, turned off the oven and put the nuts back in the oven to finish toasting just a bit. I checked the nuts after 10 minutes and they were okay, so I left them in about 10 minutes more. So they were in the oven for 30 minutes, but after the first 10 minutes, the oven was off and cooling. 

These nuts are just delicious. Dangerously delicious!  They would make a great gift. I noticed my pecans (which I keep in the refrigerator crisper drawer) were kind of soft but toasting the pecans dehydrated them and made the texture fantastic. 

Here is the recipe as it appears on the "Living on a Dime" blog. 

 Easy Spiced Nuts Recipe

 1 egg white, lightly beaten 
 1 tablespoon water 
 3 cups walnuts, pecan halves, almonds (alone or mixed) 
 1/2 cup white sugar 
 1/2 teaspoon salt 
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)                    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional) 

 In a small bowl, beat the egg white with the water. Stir in nuts, mixing until well blended. 

In a another small bowl, mix together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the moistened nuts. 

Spread nuts on a pan lined with foil or silpat. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Do not burn the nuts.

 http://www.livingonadime.com/easy-spiced-nuts-recipe/

No comments: