Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins with Yogurt

 
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
 
So last week I told you about how I made homemade yogurt HERE.
 
 
Then I made some terrific brownies with some of the yogurt and you can see that HERE. Brought the brownies to work and the coworkers loved them, too.  So moist and tender with a really nice texture. I am really glad I added walnuts to the brownies.
 

I made lots of delicious yogurt parfaits all week long with the homemade yogurt, homemade Pumpkin Spice Granola (which you can see HERE), and honey, strawberries, and blueberries.  Since I had made the Pumpkin Spice Granola, I had canned pumpkin sitting in the refrigerator.  I hate to admit that there have been a number of times I have made Pumpkin Spice Granola and thrown out the rest of the can of pumpkin puree since I never got to it.  Not good!
 





I did a little Google Search and I found a muffin recipe which called for pumpkin and... you guessed it... more yogurt!  I love these muffins. They don't really taste like pumpkin and you really don't taste the pumpkin pie spices.  The batter makes a really moist, slightly sweet muffin with a terrific dense texture.  They bake up beautifully.  I keep thinking this would be a really good basic muffin batter recipe and you could doctor it up any way you like... blueberries, walnuts and cranberries, grated carrot, walnuts, and raisins...
 
So next time you find yourself opening up a can of pumpkin and you have about a cup of leftover pumpkin puree, think of making these muffins. 
 

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (link HERE)
 
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I omitted)
  • pinch of cloves
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1/4 cup honey (I used agave nectar)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil (I used Wesson sunflower oil)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used my homemade yogurt)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I used 1% lowfat milk)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray (I used foil muffin liners and lightly misted them with PAM non-stick cooking spray). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
  2. Add pumpkin, honey, egg, oil, vanilla, yogurt and milk to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until well combined, smooth and creamy. (Alternatively you can mix the wet ingredients together in a large bowl.) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
  3. Divide batter evenly into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached (mine were perfect at 20 minutes). Cool muffins for 5 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins are best served warm (I ate them at room temperature and they were still great)!

No comments: