Saturday, September 12, 2015

Whoops! Iced Lemon Cookies


I really liked the Iced Anise Cookies I made last week. The recipe source is HERE.

I posted a photo of the cookies on Facebook and my friend, Mrs. W, said they looked great.  She asked what kind of cookies they were and I knew she did not like anise flavor one bit.  I told her they were anise and I promised to make her a lemon version.  She loves anything lemon! 

Mrs. W and I went out to lunch at our favorite Japanese place "MoMo's"  yesterday and I whipped up a batch of Iced Lemon Cookies for her. I pretty much followed the original recipe except added vanilla and lemon extracts to the cookie dough in place of the anise extract and again added lemon extract to the icing in place of anise extract.  Last time I made this recipe, I used extra large eggs; this time I noticed I only had smaller eggs and I worried the dough might be a little dryer.  As I was mixing the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, I kept noticing the dough seemed significantly  dryer compared to the dough last week. 

I kept on making the cookies, hoping they'd turn out okay. As I put the first tray of cookies into the oven and shut the door... doh! It occurred to me that I was supposed to add a 1/4 cup of milk to the dough. No wonder it was do dry. 

Despite my big flub, the cookies still turned out quite good.  I still recommend adding the milk; next time I will. 

Iced Lemon Cookies
Adapted from Iced Anise Cookies by Anna Ginsburg
www.cookiemadness.net

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 3/4 cups flour (12.5 oz)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 scant teaspoon salt

Icing:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk plus extra if needed
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Multi-Colored Sprinkles

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
Beat the sugar, melted butter, eggs, milk and extracts together using low speed of a hand-held mixer.
Thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the batter and stir just until blended.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, shaping a little to form nice roundes, 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets and bake on center rack for 10 to 14 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are light golden. Cool on Cool on wire racks.

Make icing. Mix the sugar and melted butter together until the sugar is moist. Add the milk and beat well until smooth. Beat in the lemon extract. It should be thick but pourable. Place a piece of paper towel under your cooling rack so that the glaze can drip through, then spoon it gently over the cookies.
Sprinkle with candy sprinkles.

No comments: