Monday, July 11, 2016

McGrath's Shrimp Salad


A GREAT DINNER TO BEAT THE HEAT... McGraths Fish House Inspired Shrimp Salad

When I visit my parents in Oregon, we like to go to a great seafood restaurant called "McGraths Fish House".  It's a nice "sit down" chain restaurant with a varied menu and comfortable, interesting décor.  A few weeks ago, I found a little baggie of frozen, pre-cooked wild caught shrimp called "Salad Shrimp" at my Kroger store.  The Salad Shrimp came in a 4 ounce bag and the only thing you have to do to prepare it is thaw it out.  The package instructions indicate you can do so by running the shrimp under cold running water.  Anyway, when I found this "Salad Shrimp", I remembered a great salad I had had at McGraths and I decided to make it today.  What a great meal on a hot summer day.

McGrath's Fish House Inspired Shrimp Salad
Serves 2

Fresh spinach or romaine lettuce, torn or cut into bite sized pieces
2 stalks of celery, diced
12 to 15 baby carrots, diced
1/3 to 1/2 of an English cucumber, diced
2 hard boiled eggs, diced
a few tablespoons of frozen peas (thawed by running under cold water)
1 package (4 ounce size) Kroger brand Salad Shrimp, wild caught, precooked, peeled (thaw by running under cold water)
option: diced tomato or diced bell pepper would be great additions (I did not use)
Dressing of your choice... I recommend something sweet such as French or Catalina dressing. I used Ken's Steak House brand Lite Honey Mustard which is sweet and tangy.

Divide and layer ingredients in order listed on two dinner or salad plates.  Divide shrimp into two portions. Serve with dressing on the side.  I ended up drizzling a little of the salad dressing on the shrimp and then topping my salad with the lightly dressed shrimp. 

You can really make this salad anyway you like depending on what you have on hand and what vegetables you enjoy eating.  I definitely recommend that you have this salad with both the hard boiled egg and the shrimp; they are a great combination.

Enjoy!

No comments: