Saturday, September 3, 2016

Make Ahead Steel Cut Oats (Slow Cooker)



Make Ahead Steel Cut Oats (Slow Cooker)


I love old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats in the morning but don't have the patience to wait around for them to cook when I am hungry for breakfast in the morning.

I like to cook steel cut oats in the slow cooker (Crock Pot) and keep them in a container in the refrigerator.  Then, in the morning, I just warm up about 1/2 cup cooked oats and about 1/4 milk (unsweetened almond milk for me) in the microwave (1 minute on High power). So much quicker and easier!

Make Ahead Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or any milk you have on hand

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir, cover with lid, and cook for two hours on low. I stir my oats once or twice during the last 30 minutes so it does not stick to the bottom.  Store in the refrigerator in a container with lid. To reheat, scoop out about 1/2 cup cooked oats, add in about 1/4 cup milk, and cook uncovered in the microwave for about 1 minute on High (100% power).

I have been enjoying my oatmeal with fresh blackberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.  Blackberries were on sale this week. What a treat!

No comments: