Energy Bites: Peanut Butter, Coconut, Oats, and Chocolate Chips
No Bake... No Gluten... No Eggs
A few weeks back, I made some no-bake energy bites with pumpkin, oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and a bunch of other ingredients. They were fantastic. If you missed them, you can read more HERE.
I decided to try a new recipe and it also really good. The one mistake I made was that I used extra crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy. My energy bites did not hold together very well, but the recipe still turned out great. The flavor and texture are amazing. I re-read the original recipe and it specifies I could have added more maple syrup or peanut butter if the dough seemed too dry. Perhaps that would have helped a bit. I used my cookie scoop to portion out the dough and I tried to roll the dough into more compact balls, but the dough was too sticky. I considered wetting my hands with water or spraying a little non-stick cooking spray on my hands. Instead, I just portioned out the energy bites as best as I could and popped them into the freezer. They firmed up nicely and are holding together well now. I will keep them in the freezer and just take out two at a time, now and again. These treats are rich; two energy bites is a great serving size. I had two this morning with a cup of coffee and powered through over an hour of yoga.
I cannot tell you how many times I had to RESIST the URGE to lick the spoon when making this recipe!
That gloopy mess in the center of the bowl is slightly warmed chunky peanut butter and maple syrup. I am drooling as I type that.
For this recipe, I used the natural kind of peanut butter which is made from only roasted peanuts and a little salt. It's the kind of peanut butter that separates and requires refrigeration. I warmed up my peanut butter in the microwave oven for about 10 seconds and stirred it well to make it sort of room temperature-ish.
ENERGY BITES: Peanut Butter, Coconut, Oats, and Chocolate Chips Recipe source: www.beamingbaker.com
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup gluten-free rolled oats (old fashioned)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup gluten-free, vegan add-ins (chopped peanuts, raisins, mini-chocolate chips, etc.)
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter (very liquidy at room temperature)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients: coconut, oats, flax and add-ins (I used mini chocolate chips). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and maple syrup (allow peanut butter to come to room temperature if it has been refrigerated or warm the peanut butter in the microwave oven for about ten seconds and stir well).
- Pour wet mixture over dry mixture. Using a sturdy spatula, fold together until well incorporated.
- Scoop mixture into your hands and roll into bites. I like my bites to be about 1 ½ tablespoons. If the mixture is too dry, add in a bit more maple syrup and peanut butter.