Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Quinoa for Breakfast


Quinoa for Breakfast


The other day, I made up a pot of quinoa; I like to put a few spoonfuls into each bowl of my Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup. Turns out, I made way too much quinoa. I read that cooked quinoa can be frozen with good results, but I thought I might first try having quinoa for breakfast just like oatmeal. Turns out I really like it. 

So if you find yourself with left over quinoa, you might want to give this a try. 

This is not an exact recipe, but a little healthy and yummy meal inspiration. Here's what I've been doing:

In a microwave safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice), a pinch of cinnamon, a little brown sugar (or maple syrup or honey), 1 to 2 tablespoons of raisins, and 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts. Heat in the microwave, uncovered, for 1 1/2 minutes on High power.  

Top with chopped fresh fruit as desired.  Stir and let sit for about 1 minute.  Enjoy!

Some mornings I've had chopped Honey Crisp apple (1/2 an apple) stirred into my quinoa bowl and some mornings I've had sliced banana stirred into my quinoa bowl. I really like both!


The photo above is one I captured from the internet... because sometime I forget to take photos if my breakfast at 5:00 am. Imagine that!?!

I am looking forward to trying more quinoa breakfast recipes. I found a great collection of recipes here:


This one recipe (below) will be the NEXT one I try for sure!


No comments: