Sunday, December 4, 2016

Pumpkin Curry Soup with Turkey and Veggies


PUMPKIN CURRY SOUP WITH TURKEY AND VEGGIES

Today was food prep day.  In three hours time, I got a lot done.  I made this soup in the Crock Pot and, as it simmered away, I prepared some other dishes that we will be enjoying this week.  You can see those other dishes below.  Eating healthy will be easy this week thanks to some prepping today.

I love the flavors in this soup; pumpkin and curry are a great pairing.  This soup is hearty and satisfying.  I love how easy it was to throw this recipe together.  The recipe comes from Betty Crocker.  I added ground turkey to the recipe, as well as additional veggies.  When I read the reviews for this recipe, I saw others increased the amount of curry powder from 1 1/2 teaspoons to 2 1/2 teaspoons.  I did too and it's delicious.  The recipe indicates this is four servings but I portioned this out to five servings.  My curry powder is not spicy hot, but if you like a little spice, you might want to add in some red pepper (cayenne).


Pumpkin Curry Soup with Turkey and Veggies
Adapted from www.bettycrocker.com

Ingredients:

1 pound ground turkey (93 percent lean, I used Honeysuckle White brand)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
1 can pumpkin puree (15 ounce)
1 can chicken broth (14 ounce)
1/2 cup water
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
salt and black pepper to taste
12 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables (I used Kroger brand with carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)

Directions:

In a medium sized skillet, over medium to medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground turkey until no pink remains.  Add all ingredients EXCEPT for the frozen mixed vegetables to a slow cooker (Crock Pot).  Cook on low for about 2 hours.  Stir in the frozen mixed vegetables and cook an additional hour, or until frozen vegetables are desired tenderness.  Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and additional sugar as desired.

Makes 5 servings.

Original recipe link:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/curried-pumpkin-vegetable-soup/4f596302-2347-4686-881b-b078eabf183e


During my cooking session, I also made this quiche for my husband.  The ingredients are Johnsonville brand turkey breakfast sausage, mozzarella cheese, and sautéed onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper.


I also made up some hummus.  I have never used tahini (sesame seed paste) in hummus before.  I think my tahini was a little old. The hummus has a weird flavor.  Ron did not care for it.  I don't mind it but it's not my favorite.  I'll try it again in a day or two to see how it tastes after sitting in the refrigerator for awhile.


For veggies, I steamed some broccoli. My new favorite breakfast is broccoli in scrambled egg with turkey breakfast sausage and a little cheddar cheese.  So my broccoli is ready to go!  I also made up some Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower. I'll share this recipe in a few days.


Let's see, I also made up some Greek Turkey Meatballs (3 pounds) and big batch of Tzatziki (garlicky cucumber yogurt sauce).


I hope you have a great week!




No comments: