Thursday, January 19, 2017

Muesli Cookies


Bob's Red Mill Muesli Cookies


I bought this Muesli a few months back after I had been to Seattle.  At the Pike Place Market in Seattle I had the most amazing yogurt topped with Muesli.  It was delicious.  I intended to have this with yogurt at home but still have not tried that. I did, however, notice that there was a recipe for cookies on the back of the bag.  And, since I had all the ingredients on hand, I decided to give the recipe a try. 

This cookie batter was very wet.  The cookies still had a great texture and great flavor when they were warm out of the oven, but I was worried some of the cookies were going to stick to the parchment paper.  I put the cooled cookies in a plastic storage container with a tight fitting lid and the cookies had a very moist and sticky texture the next day. I decided to freeze the cookies.

You know how ice cream sandwiches have a sticky texture when you eat them and you have to lick or scrape the chocolate cookie part of the ice cream sandwich off your fingers after you eat an ice cream sandwich?  Well, these cookies are like that.  So it got me to thinking these cookies would make great ice cream sandwiches.  I will be on the look out for a small tub of vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream and I am going to try it out. 

I guess what I learned from these cookies is that I think the recipe needs more flour.  I did look on the Bob's Red Mill website and see that others also mention their dough was very wet.  I think I'll try this recipe again and increase the flour from 3/4 cup to 1 cup.  Here's another thought. I've read some other cookie recipes which call for applesauce and the recipe author specifies that you should measure out the applesauce and then dump the applesauce onto some paper towels to wick away some of the excess moisture. That might work for the Bob's Red Mill recipe, too. 



When I was looking around on the Bob's Red Mill website, I found two versions of this recipe.  One recipe calls for applesauce, which is the recipe I tried from the product label, and the other recipe calls for butter.  Here are the two versions: 

Applesauce Version:  http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/chocolate-chip-applesauce-muesli-cookies/

Butter Version:  http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/chocolate-chip-muesli-cookies/



NOTE:  I RECOMMEND INCREASING THE FLOUR FROM 3/4 CUP TO 1 CUP OTHERWISE THE DOUGH WILL BE TOO WET.

I have another cup or so of this Muesli; I will give this recipe a try again someday with some modifications.  I like the idea of such wholesome additions to a cookie.  In case you can't read it in the photos, this Muesli contains whole grain oats, wheat, rye, triticale, and barley, along with dates, raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds and raisins.  Good stuff!

No comments: