Saturday, August 26, 2017

So Easy! Crock Pot Applesauce


Crock Pot Applesauce


I will probably never buy applesauce again. I made applesauce in my Crock Pot (slow cooker) yesterday.  It was so easy and it tastes great.  I know exactly what is in it and, frankly, it's way sweeter than the unsweetened applesauce I purchase at the store. I bought a little bag of Gala apples at my Kroger store the other day.  I had a coupon for bagged apples and I think the bag I got was 3 pounds.  The apples were all small and they were not that pretty; apple rejects.  I love to eat applesauce with cottage cheese... great with a sprinkle of chia seeds but even better topped with homemade granola.  Soon I'll try the applesauce, Greek yogurt, and granola combination.  I love to have this kind of thing for breakfast like I did today.


The applesauce couldn't be easier.  Fall, apple season, pumpkin spice season... they will be here soon. I'd like to try making applesauce with a variety of kinds of apples this fall, but the All-Gala-Apple version was great.

Crock Pot Applesauce

3 pounds of apples (peeled, cored, and chopped)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup water
fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used a few teaspoons)

Place all ingredients in a Crock Pot (slow cooker).  Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 2 hours.
Stir and mash the apples (I used a fork); cover and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours on LOW.  Cooking time may vary depending upon your slow cooker of course.

Your house will smell great.  I read a few recipes on line which indicate the applesauce freezes well.  I am amazed how much the apples cook down.  This made a lot less applesauce than I thought it would.  I may freeze some but I may gobble it up before it goes bad.


No comments: