Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Super EASY *SPICY" Turkey Taco Chili (Slow Cooker)


Super EASY *SPICY" Turkey Taco Chili (Slow Cooker)

I liked the looks of a recipe I saw on the "Skinny Taste" blog but I knew I wanted to make a few changes so my husband and I would both like it.  The recipe called for chicken breasts; I used cooked, crumbled ground turkey instead.  The recipe also calls for two cans of Ro-Tel (diced tomatoes with green chilies) and one can of green chilies.  We were wanting some HOT & SPICY chili, so I selected one can of Ro-tel "Original" and one can of Ro-tel "Hot".  The canned green chilies I used were also the "hot" variety.  Finally, the recipe called for frozen corn; we left out the corn.  

Yowza, our chili is HOT & SPICY.  Ro-tel comes in so many varieties which you can see HERE.  If you are sensitive to spice or don't like things too spicy, I recommend the "Mild" Ro-tel.  And I recommend you use mild green chilies as well.  You could substitute canned diced tomatoes or canned fire roasted tomatoes if you'd like. There is plenty of seasoning in this chili without the green chilies. 

Aside from browning/cooking/crumbling the ground turkey and chopping up an onion, this is a dish you can assemble in just a few minutes.  I had this simmering in the slow cooker first thing this morning before we headed out the door to walk the dogs.


Super EASY *SPICY* Turkey Taco Chili (Slow Cooker)

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (I used 1 can Ro-Tel "Hot" with habanero peppers and 1 can Ro-Tel "Original" with green chilies)
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies (I used Ortega brand "Hot" green chilies)
1 pound ground turkey (browned/cooked/crumbled)
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, stir, cover with lid, and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

Adapted from www.skinnytaste.com/LINK:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/



No comments: