Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Turkey Tacos



Turkey Tacos



I could eat tacos several times each week and I would never grow tired of them.  For years, I have made tacos with ground beef.  Sometimes I've bought raw ground turkey which is already seasoned with taco spices (Jennie-O brand) and, to be perfectly honest, the flavor and texture is kind of weird.  This week I made tacos with ground turkey and made up a homemade taco seasoning blend and my husband and I both liked it.  In fact, we liked it so much we made tacos twice this week.

The homemade taco seasoning blend I found is just a mixture of dried herbs and spices that you likely have in your cupboard.  The recipe below is enough to season three pounds of ground beef, turkey, or chicken.  You just use 1 1/2 tablespoons of the spice mixture in one pound of ground protein.  Very easy.

Here is the recipe link:  https://therealfoodrds.com/homemade-taco-seasoning-whole30/


TACO SEASONING

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt (I used kosher salt)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Use 1 1/2 tablespoons in one pound of ground turkey, chicken, or beef.  If desired, add in a few tablespoons of water to help incorporate/distribute the seasonings throughout the cooked meat.  Makes enough for 3 pounds of ground turkey, chicken, or beef.  Store leftover seasoning blend in an airtight container.


I also had a taco salad with some of the leftovers. I added some canned black beans and some jarred salsa to some left over turkey and it was a great meal.  I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.  Delicious!



No comments: