Sunday, May 20, 2018

Healthy Honey Mustard Salad Dressing



Healthy Honey Mustard Salad Dressing




I am not sure how or why I stumbled across this recipe but I am so glad I did. This is a recipe for a healthier version of Honey Mustard Salad Dressing.  As luck would have it, I had all the ingredients on hand and I had this whipped up in a jiffy.  I pretty much followed the recipe as written. I did start with just three tablespoons of honey and then added in about 1/2 tablespoon more at the end.  The one thing I did differently than the recipe called for is that I stirred together all the ingredients with a whisk EXCEPT for the extra virgin olive oil.  Once all of the other ingredients were well combined, then I slowly streamed in the olive oil while vigorously whisking until it was all combined.  I find that many of the salad dressings I make with extra virgin olive separate or break after they have sat in the refrigerator for several days.  I am hoping that by slowly streaming in and whisking the olive oil, the dressing will stay more emulsified.

This recipe comes from a blog called "Cookie and Kate"
Here is the recipe link:
https://cookieandkate.com/2018/healthy-honey-mustard-dressing-recipe/

Healthy Honey Mustard Salad Dressing

  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (any % fat will do; I used 2%)
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • ¼ cup Dijon mustard
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons honey, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or more lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (I used Himalayan salt)
  • 10 twists of freshly ground black pepper
  1. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup or bowl, combine all of the ingredients as listed. Whisk until blended. Taste, and season with additional pepper if necessary.
  2. This dressing is intentionally bold, but if it tastes too tart for your liking, whisk in another tablespoon of honey.
  3. Store leftover salad dressing in the refrigerator, covered, for 10 to 14 days.


My salad below is a bed of baby kale and baby spinach topped with chick peas, carrots, tricolored quinoa, grape tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, carrots, hard boiled egg, and... of course... Healthy Honey Mustard Dressing.  This is a great combination.



No comments: