Sunday, December 16, 2018

Oven Roasted Spiced Yogurt Marinated Chicken Drumsticks



Oven Roasted Spiced Yogurt Marinated Chicken Drumsticks



I saw a small package containing five chicken drumsticks at the grocery store the other day and I was astonished by the low price.  I want to say it was $2.39 or $2.63.  I pondered a few options and decided to marinate the chicken in yogurt.  I had tried this once before with chicken tenderloins and I grilled the chicken on the stove top in my grill pan.  It was good!

I decided to remove the skin from the drumsticks to make the dish a little lower in fat.  I paired it with my favorite Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower (recipe HERE) and steamed broccoli.

I can't eat a chicken drumstick without thinking of my son.  I remember when he was young, he called chicken legs "chicken on a stick".  So cute.  He'll be 22 years old in a few weeks but thinking about "chicken on a stick" still makes me chuckle.  

OVEN ROASTED SPICED YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
Adapted from "Once Upon a Chef"

  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% Fage brand plain Greek yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (reduce to 1/4 teaspoon if you don't like heat)
  • finely grated lemon zest (from 1/2 of one lemon) 
  • freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 of one lemon)
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 to 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed if desired

Place all ingredients (EXCEPT for the chicken) in a gallon size plastic bag with a zip closure; zip the bag closed.  Mash ingredients around with your hands to combine.  Add in the chicken drumsticks, zip bag closed, and mash around ingredients until all the chicken pieces are coated in the spiced 
yogurt.  Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, longer if desired (I allowed mine to marinate overnight).

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with non-stick spray.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Place marinated drumsticks on the baking sheet (drumsticks should not be touching each other) and roast for 40 to 45 minutes, turning once half way the baking time. (Note: Cook until internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit).






This recipe is great for meal prep.



No comments: