Monday, July 19, 2010

Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread

I adapted this recipe from the book pictured below entitled "Making Bread at Home" by Linda Doerser. This a recipe book for making bread in a bread machine. Here's my version:

RECIPE:
3/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour **
1 teaspoon salt (I use kosher salt)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds (untoasted)
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
3 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 teaspoons yeast (I used Fleishman's Bread Machine yeast)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Remove bread pan from machine. Put water and oil in bread pan.
2. Add remaining ingredients in the order listed. (**When measuring the whole wheat flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then sweep to level. Scooping the flour from the canister or bag with the measuring cup tends to compact the flour and may make your bread too dry.)
3. Place bread pan in machine and bake according to your machine's instructions. (On my Sunbeam machine, I use the whole wheat setting, light crust, 1.5 pound loaf size and it comes out perfectly every time.)

** When I made this bread the first time, the dough seemed too moist when the machine first started mixing. I sprinkled in a bit more flour which was a mistake. I ended up with a lopsided, ski-slope loaf. This dough does seem moist when it first starts to mix, but in time the moisture is absorbed by the whole wheat flour. If you try this bread, I would love to know what you think!

No comments: