Monday, September 20, 2010

Mexican Red Rice

I hate to admit it, but we've been eating out a little too much lately. We discovered a Mexican restaurant in our town called "Toreros" and we've decided we like to eat there.  We really don't have a lot of restaurants in our town that we care for, and I kind of think the food at Toreros could use a bit more spice, but they have lots of things to chose from on the menu and I am happy to let someone else do the cooking AND the dishes for me now and again!  Yipee!  Like just about all Mexican restaurants. they have their own version of refried beans and seasoned rice.  I was wondering the other day how they make that rice.  Wouldn't you know I was watching an old episode of "Simply Delicioso" with Ingrid Hoffman the other day and she made a recipe called "Mexican Red Rice".  Click HERE for the recipe link.  I looked at the recipe on-line and also the various comments by folks who had made the recipe at home.  True to form for me, I couldn't follow the recipe... I had to just sort of wing it with ingredients I had on hand.  This is what I came up with.  I really like it.  I am having it for lunches this week with left-over grilled chicken.  Here's the recipe:

Mexican Red Rice

1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced (I used a red onion which turned a funny color when it cooked)
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder (I used 1/2 teaspoon and it's very spicy)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
several grinds of freshly ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce can) Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
1 1/4 cups water
2 chicken boullion cubes (*)

In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and saute until nearly translucent.
Add the rice, and as well as the ancho chile powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.  Toss to coat the rice with the oil and spices, and cook for an additinal 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the Rotel, water, and boullion cubes. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.  Cover with a lid, reduce temperature to lowest setting, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.

(*) I made a special trip to Natural Grocers this weekend in search of vegetarian boullion; I found the spot on the shelf but it was "sold out".  I did, however, score some great looking tofu and tempeh!  More on that another day.  I am sure this recipe would be good made with water or vegetable broth in place of the chicken boullion, but you would definitely want to add some salt. 

My battery was out in my camera this morning when I was packing up my lunch; I'll try to add a photo later... but you already know what Mexican Red Rice looks like.  Sorry no photo! Bad Blogger, Bad Blogger! (Comment next day: Husband discovered rice in fridge... rice all gone... no photo.  This recipe must be a keeper...)

No comments: