Friday, March 4, 2011

Blender Mania! Smoothie #3 and Smoothie #4

Peach, Banana, and Strawberry Fruit Smoothie
Still enjoying my new blender.  I've been having smoothies several times a week.  My favorite smoothie is  #3, which has been made with ingredients I have on hand, and it's just a slight variation on Smoothie #2, except now I am using plain, unsweetened yogurt and adding honey (in place of sweetened vanilla yogurt).

Peach, Banana, and Strawberry Fruit Smoothie (Smoothie #3)
3/4 cup (approximate) frozen peach slices
1 banana, broken into a few chunks
3 or 5 fresh strawberries
1/4 cup plain yogurt
a few squirts of honey

Blend in blender, pour into a glass... enjoy!

Comments:  This week I am getting in the habit of putting fruit in the freezer when it's about to go bad. I've been washing the strawberries, trimming the stems, and popping them in the freezer in zip close bags. I've learned that, for smoothies, it's a good idea to cut the strawberries in half before freezing. Otherwise, they are kind of like little boulders in the blender and they don't break down very readily. 

                                        **************************************

Peach, Almond, and Honey Fruit Smoothie

Today, I ran out of bananas, so I had to go rogue.  Here's what I came up with.

Peach, Almond, and Vanilla Smoothie (Smoothie #4)
1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen peach slices (it's really hard to measure frozen peach slices)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
10 whole raw almonds

Blend in blender, pour into a glass... enjoy!

Comments:   At first, I thought I might not like Smoothie #4. The yogurt was a little tangy and maybe it was not sweet enough. The ground almonds do give the smoothie a little texture which IS different from the smoothies I've been making for a few weeks.  Next time I might use a tad less of the vanilla.   I have a bottle of vanilla from Mexico and to me it has the aroma of coconut (just a little) and it's very potent stuff.  But as I sipped my smoothie this morning, I decided I really like this one!  It was super thick and reminded me of a blended ice cream drink... for breakfast!  Score!

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

I LOVE peach smoothies!