Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring Green Pea Soup


I watched a show called "Good Deals with Dave Lieberman" on The Cooking Channel this morning.  I sure like this show and I think Dave Lieberman is enjoyable to watch... I like his enthuasism as well as his simple approach to cooking, and I learn a lot each episode.  The show is described like this:

Dave Lieberman is a young man with a mission: to teach people how to live, eat and entertain like royalty, even on a commoner's budget. In Good Deal with Dave Lieberman, Dave keeps things quick, easy and inexpensive, giving viewers practical tips on keeping quality up and costs down. Whether preparing a buffet dinner for an ever-expanding party guest list, helping a love-struck best friend pull together a romantic dinner, or throwing an indoor BBQ party for the space/budget-challenged, Dave always guarantees fabulous food that won't break the clock or the bank.

On today's episode, which was called "Frozen Pantry," he made a variety of dishes with ingredients kept in the freezer. He talked about how freezing preserves food at it's peak of freshness, how using frozen foods is quite economical, and how having a well stocked freezer is quite handy.  Made me wish I had a bigger freezer!  After my knitting group today, I swung by my handy "Mom and Pop Market" (I love this place!).  I grabbed the ingredients for this recipe and whipped it up in no time.  The Cooking Channel link is HERE for the recipe as it appeared on the episode.  I made the soup pretty much as directed.  I did not use low-sodium chicken broth so I cut back on the salt in the soup.  I did not make the grilled bread but I am sure that would be very good with this soup.  Also, I forgot to grab a yellow onion at the market, so I used half of a really big red onion which I happened to have in my refrigerator. I sauteed the onion in the buter BEFORE adding the remaining ingredients (the original recipe recommends throwing all the ingredients in the pot at one time).  I blended it all in my blender and topped my bowl of soup with a bit of plain, low-fat yogurt in place of the sour cream.  Light, fresh, and yummy!  Oh, and I just made half of a recipe which was an easy adaptation.  I've noted my slight modifications below. 

Spring Green Pea Soup

1 pound frozen green peas
1 - 2 tablespoons butter (I try to use as little as possible)
1 (14.5-ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium onion, roughly chopped (I used half of a large, red onion)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Garnish with low-fat, plain yogurt if desired.

Directions
In a medium pot, melt butter.  Add chopped onion and season with a bit of salt and black pepper as desired.  Saute the onions until softened, stirring occasionally.  Add broth and peas.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, standing blender, or food processor, puree the soup until smooth and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste if additional seasoning is needed. Serve each bowl with a dollop of low-fat, plain yogurt.

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

YUM! My that looks like spring!