Thursday, January 26, 2012

Slow Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa & Cilantro-Lime Rice

 
Slow Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa
photo from www.delish.com
I have training all week this week at work so instead of working my Sunday through Thursday schedule, I am working Monday through Friday. Ick!  Since I did my shopping last Thursday, I was running out of supplies for meals by Monday!  I scanned the Internet for some inspiration and found this recipe.  I swung by the market the other night so I could throw this in the slow cooker (Crock Pot) before I left for work today.  The original recipe link is HERE.  I made the recipe even more simple than the original recipe called for so it was a snap to throw in the slow cooker while my morning coffee was brewing.  I love using the slow cooker; it just makes me feel so smart!  It's nice to come home to a simple meal and the wonderful aroma filling the house.  The result: my husband and I both loved this.  Zach had a bacon and cheddar cheese quesadilla with hot sauce and ground black pepper.  He doesn't like meat in the slow cooker since it tends to be "too wet" for his liking.

Here is my adapted, simpler version of the recipe I found on http://www.delish.com/.  From looking at this recipe on Delish, it looks as if the recipe ORIGINALLY came from http://www.eatingwell.com/

Slow Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa & Cilantro Lime Rice

Ingredients:
3 pounds boneless pork loin roast (original recipe called for pork shoulder or butt which are both rather fatty)

1 1/2 cups prepared tomatillo salsa (see Tips & Techniques)
1 can chicken broth ( 1 3/4 cups) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin (I used ground cumin)
3 plum tomatoes (I used 1 very large hot house tomato), thinly sliced
1/2 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro, divided (I forgot to add it)
1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream (I forgot to put it on the table)
 
Directions


1.  Pour chicken broth in slow cooker.  Trim and discard pork surface fat.  Place pork in slow cooker.  Pour the tomatilla salsa over the pork.  Sprinkle the cumin over the salsa.  Add the tomatoes and onions to the slow cooker.  Set slow cooker on low heat.  Cook for 8 to 10 hours.  When I got home from work after the contents had been simmer for at least 8 hours, I removed the lid and stirred the salsa in the slow cooker.

*Tips & Techniques*

Tomatillo salsa (sometimes labeled salsa verde or green salsa) is a blend of green chiles, onions, and tomatillos. It is sold in supermarkets.

I served this dish with Cilantro-Lime Rice which is much like the rice you get a the restaurants "Chipotle" and "Qdoba".   Here's the recipe:

Cilantro-Lime Rice

1 3/4 cups water
pinch of salt
1 cup basmati rice
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped cilantro
finely grated zest of one lime

Put water and salt in a medium sized pot.  Bring to a boil. Add the rice, return to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce to a simmer on stove top's lowest setting.  Cook, covered (no peeking!) for 17 to 18 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.  Fluff rice with a fork; add in cilantro and lime zest; stir with a fork to combine toss to combine.

No comments: