Saturday, January 28, 2012

(Turkey) Bacon Topped Meatloaf




Meatloaf My Entire Family Enjoyed!

Just a few days ago, I saw Melissa d'Arabian make this meatloaf on her Food Network Show called "Ten Dollar Dinners".  Melissa was one of the folks who won "Next Food Network Star" and the prize was her own show on the Food Network. Her show is the ONLY show I record for myself when there are new episodes.  I like her personality, her recipes, and her approach to cooking for a family on a budget.  She chatters on about money saving tips as she prepares her great looking recipes.  I love that I learn a lot each time I watch an episode.  This week she made this great looking meatloaf.  Her version included a Mustard and Sour Cream Gravy. I skipped the gravy. She served the meatloaf with some great looking mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese and scallions.  Instead, I made baked potatoes in the oven which cooked along side the meatloaf, but I know my family would also enjoy the mashed potatoes she made.  My entire family the meatloaf!  Yay, finally! 

* My husband told me today the leftover meatloaf reheats very well.... so, as a result... no photo! Sorry about that!

Meatloaf
From www.foodnetwork.com
Recipe by Melissa d'Arabian
Recipe link HERE

INGREDIENTS (my changes are in parentheses):

3 strips pork bacon (I used turkey bacon)
2 eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sour cream (I used plain low fat yogurt)
3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs)
2 tablespoons minced yellow onion (I used red onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher and freshly ground black pepper
2 Italian sausages, casings removed, mild or spicy (I used mild)
1 pound 80/20 ground beef

Special equipment: glass loaf pan

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Line the glass loaf pan with the bacon, centering the strips lengthwise in the pan, letting the ends hang over the short edge.

Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the ketchup and sour cream (or yogurt) and mix. Add the breadcrumbs, onions and garlic, stirring to incorporate, and sprinkle with salt and pepper (don't need much salt since the bacon and sausage have salt). Mix in the sausage, breaking it up to season the egg mixture evenly. Mix in the ground beef, using your hands to mix gently but thoroughly. Press the meatloaf mixture firmly into the loaf pan with the bacon, shaping the meat into a loaf shape. Unmold the meatloaf by turning the pan upside-down, and tapping the bottom to release the meatloaf. Tuck the bacon under the loaf, and place it bacon-side up on a foiled or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the meat registers 160 degrees F, 50 minutes.

No comments: