Saturday, May 12, 2012

Famous Dave's-Inspired Pulled Chicken Sandwiches



I can only show you the aftermath of my morning of cooking.  Sorry that I did not snap a photo of my sandwich but it was tasty!  You'll just have to use your imagination... picture this shredded chicken inside a hearty wheat bun, slathered in sauce... you get the idea, right?

Famous Dave's is a chain of BBQ joints.  On their website www.famousdaves.com, I learned this chain started by a guy named Dave in Wisconsin. That does not surprise me because when I've visited the Famous Dave's Restaurant in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the decor reminded me of the inside of a log cab on a lake in Wisconsin!  I don't know much about BBQ and smoking meats, but we've enjoyed going to Famous Dave's 3 or 4 times over the past few years.  You can order huge sampler platters (which is what we did on our first visit) so that you can try a little everything... pulled pork, ribs, smoked chicken, brisket, coleslaw, baked beans, and cornbread muffins.  It's amazing how short your wait is at a place like this because all of the meats are prepared ahead of time by smoking.

I was surprised to find Famous Dave's products on the shelves of my grocery store (City Market/Kroger) and you can also buy them on-line at the Famous Dave's website.  The sauce is found in the aisle where you find ketchup and mustard and other condiments, but the rubs are found in the spice aisle.  At my grocery store, there are three different Famous Dave's BBQ sauces, two different rubs, as well as some jarred spicy pickle spears. 

We use Famous Dave's Rib Rub and Rich & Sassy Original BBQ sauce to make pulled chicken sandwiches at home and we love this meal.  Our version is likely a little lower in fat than the pulled pork version at the restaurant and it's a snap to pull together.  Ha, ha... punny... "pull together"... pulled chicken sandwiches.  I crack myself up!

Famous Dave's Inspired Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

Ingredients:

3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (remove visible fat)
1/2 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
Famous Dave's Rib Rub
Famous Dave's BBQ sauce
Wheat Hamburger Buns
Dill pickle slices (we used Vlasic Kosher Dill Pickle Slices)

Directions:

Spray inside of slow cooker (Crock Pot) with non-stick cooking spray (such as Pam). Place water and chicken bouillon cube in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Next place chicken breasts in the slow cooker; generously sprinkle chicken breasts with Rib Rub.  Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low setting for about 4 hours.  Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred with two forks.  If desired, pour a little of the cooking liquid over the shredded chicken.  Serve on shredded/pulled chicken on toasted buns.  Slather on BBQ sauce.  If desired, add pickle slices to sandwich.  (I know this sounds weird but it's good!  Trust me!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore this recipe! It tastes just like the sandwich at Famous Dave's! I have made this several times and it never fails! Thank you so much for posting it. I have not found another recipe that comes close to the flavor and texture of the original!