Saturday, May 12, 2012

Greek Yogurt Parfaits

Greek Yogurt Parfait


The other day, I was reading an email from Hungry Girl (www.hungry-girl.com).  Perhaps you get these emails or you've seen the "Hungry Girl" television show on The Food Network or The Cooking Channel.  The host, Lisa Lillien, is creative and innovative and she often takes something very unhealthy, swaps out ingredients, and the end result is a lower calorie, lower fat version.  I get lots of ideas from the emails I get from Hungry Girl.  She posted a recipe the other day using a pudding cup or yogurt, fresh fruit, and crushed up low-fat graham crackers to make a cheese-cake like dessert. 

Since I have been on a Greek yogurt kick lately, I have been making these parfaits at home for dessert after dinner.  The result:  delicious (if I can say so myself), decadent (at least it feels that way), and nutritious (no guilt... you could even eat this for breakfast!)


Greek Yogurt Parfait for One
1 container Oikos Vanilla yogurt
about 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries
about 1 tablespoon chopped roasted almonds (*)

Layer ingredients in a pretty clear dish (or serving dish of your choice) in the order given and dig in.   Here, I am using my stem-less wine glasses.  The only problems with this serving vessel is that I can't lick the bowl when I am done. Darn it! 


(*)  To toast the almonds, put a handful or two of whole, raw almonds in a dry skillet. Heat over medium to medium high heat for a few minutes, stirring the nuts occasionally.  Nuts are done with you hear a popping noise, when the nuts become fragrant, and some brown toasty spots appear on the almond skins.  Spread  almonds on a paper towel or dish to cool. When cool enough to handle, chop the almonds in a food chopper (like a Slap Chop or the food chopper from Pampered Chef) or chop with a knife.  Store in an airtight container (make extra... great on oatmeal!) 

No comments: