Friday, May 11, 2012

Greek Yogurt Smoothies


My latest food obsession...   Greek yogurt.

About a year ago, I tried a small container of Yoplait brand Greek yogurt.  It was not for me; I did not like it one bit!  I was scared off and did not think to give Greek yogurt another try until I saw some on sale a few weeks back.  I tried Chobani Brand and I loved it!  The yogurt is fat free but it is strained so it has an amazingly thick and creamy texture. The fruit is at the bottom and it's not too sweet, which I find appealing.  I have tried Pomegranate, Apple, Peach, and Blueberry.  All delicious.  The Chobani yogurt is rather tart so it's an adjustment compared to other yogurts I have been eating for years... but like I said... I am HOOKED! (At my grocery store Kroger/City Market... I am finding Chobani yogurt on sale 4 for $5.00).

I also noticed Dannon Brand Oikos Greek yogurt a few weeks later, bought some to give it a try, and also love it. It is a bit less expensive and it is not quite as tart as the Chobani Brand.  I've been enjoying Vanilla and Blueberry.  (At my grocer store Kroger/City Market.... I am finding Oikos yogurt on sale 10 for $10.00, but I am also finding 4-packs of either Vanilla or Strawberry for $3.49).  The Vanilla is amazing in smoothies; I have come up with some good flavor combinations.  You can't go wrong if you have your kitchen stocked with great ingredients such as fresh and frozen bananas, frozen blueberries, fresh strawberries,  and fresh oranges or orange juice.  Here are a few ideas.
                                                          ************
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
1 container of Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 fresh ripe banana
about 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
a splash of milk or fresh orange juice might be necessary to get things going in the blender as the yogurt is so thick.

Place all in a blender and puree until smooth.  Slurp with a straw. Enjoy!

                                                      ************


Banana Split Smoothie (this one is kind of creative if I can say so myself)
1 container of Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 frozen ripe banana (chopped into chunks)
about 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/3 cup lite Chocolate Silk (soy milk)
a few ice cubes(optional)

Place all in a blender and puree until smooth. Slurp with a straw. Enjoy!


                                                        ************ 
Chocolate Banana Smoothie (with no yogurt)
1 frozen banana
1 cup lite Chocolate Silk (soy milk)

Place all in a blender and puree until smooth.  Slurp with a straw. Enjoy!
This one has no yogurt but I've enjoying having the ingredients on hand for this treat. 

                                                     **************

This week... GREEN MONSTER SMOOTHIES with SPINACH.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: