Sunday, April 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Pork and Black Bean Chili

Slow Cooker Pork and Black Bean Chili


Ingredients

1 ½ pounds boneless pork loin or pork tenderloin, chopped into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes
1 can chicken broth *
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained*
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained*
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes* (I use Kroger brand)
1 can salsa-style fire roasted tomatoes*(I use Kroger brand)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 of a 4 ounce can of roasted green chilies (drained)

* Canned goods are all the 14-15 ounce sized cans

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker (Crock Pot); stir to combine. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Adjust seasonings if needed.  Serve each bowl of chili/soup with a dollop of sour cream or low fat plain yogurt. Freezes well. Makes about 8 servings.

****

I have made this soup two times now.  It's great to have for lunches at work.I have noticed if I pack my lunch with soup straight out of the freezer, I don't have to worry about the soup spilling in my lunch bag.  Doh1

The first time I made this soup I used pork from a really big pork loin roast I got on sale at the market.  I used 1/2 of the roast for a different crock pot meal but I noticed the other 1/2 of the roast looked more like "dark meat" and it had some fat running through it. I trimmed the fat and cubed up the darker meat and froze it until I was ready to make this soup.  The second time I made the soup, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts... it's all about using what is in the house.  I prefer the soup made with the pork over the soup made with the chicken. I think boneless, skinless chicken thighs would also be very good in this soup.
Soup is creamy with addition of sour cream or yogurt.



No comments: