Saturday, February 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Applesauce with Cinnamon and Orange

Slow Cooker Applesauce with Cinnamon and Orange

Ingredients
9 small to medium sized gala apples, peeled, cores removed, chopped coarsely
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of kosher salt
4 teaspoons turbinado sugar (brown sugar would work too)
1 orange, zest and juice (*)

Add all ingredients to a slow cooker (crock pot). 
(*) Use a grater (such as a Mircoplane grater) to remove and finely grate the outer orange zest from the orange; slice the orange in half and squeeze the juice of the orange into the slow slow cooker.  Set the slow cooker on low and simmer for 4 hours.  Blend in a blender (I used my immersion blender right in the slow cooker).  Enjoy warm or cold.



I came from the grocery store yesterday and found nine apples and some oranges on my countertop. Apparently, my family (including me) wase not in the mood for apples and oranges last week.  Since I don't like to see things go to waste, I decided to see if I could make up some applesauce in the slow cooker. I tried another recipe not too long ago and it was not good.  I just winged it this time. I figured the orange might be good in this since I like orange and cinnamon together.  My sauce is almost the texture of baby food; I like using my immersion blender so much I get kind of carried away.

 If you like chunkier applesauce, perhaps you could use something like
a potato masher to keep the chunks larger.

No comments: