Thursday, August 23, 2012

Quinoa Flake Granola


 
 
I was starting to think I was the world's biggest fan of quinoa until a few weeks back when I checked out Camilla V. Saulsbury's blog called "Enlightened Cooking".  I've admired this gal for awhile.  She's quite a celebrity in the cooking contest world.  Turns out she's an even bigger fan of quinoa than me. So much so, that she even wrote a book about it!  You can see the book HERE.  She has many, many fantastic looking quinoa recipes on her blog. I was so intrigured to try the recipes that I went to the health food store and stocked up on quinoa flakes and quinoa flour to go along with my stash of quinoa seeds in my pantry. I made the Quinoa Flake Granola from Camilla's blog and it's delicious.  Quinoa flakes look a bit like mashed potato flakes. They made some crunchy granola which resembles "Grapenuts" cereal but the nuggets won't break your teeth like that cereal nearly does.  I made the quinoa flake granola last weekend along with my own recipe for granola and I mixed the two granolas together. Terrific with Greek yogurt and fresh berries.
 
Quinoa Flake Granola
Recipe by Camilla V. Sauslbury
Recipe link is HERE


Preheat oven to 325°F

Large rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper


1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup ground flax seeds (flaxseed meal)

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup pure maple syrup, liquid honey, or brown rice syrup

2 tbsp vegetable oil or unsalted butter, melted (I used 1 tbsp vegetable oil)        

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup dried blueberries, cranberries or cherries, chopped (I omitted)  

 
1. In a large bowl, combine quinoa flakes, pecans, flax seeds and cinnamon.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil and vanilla until well blended.

3. Add the maple mixture to the quinoa mixture and stir until well coated. Spread mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 27 minutes or until quinoa flakes are golden brown. Let cool completely on pan. (I stirred the granola
about once ever 8 to 10 minutes).

 
 
I am still working on this new recipe for granola.
This one contains rolled oats, almonds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds,
sesame seeds, pepita (pumpkin) seeds, maple syrup, brown sugar,
cinnamon, vanilla, and a few other things.
 

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Another yummy recipe!

~Have a lovely day!