Friday, August 24, 2012

Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties

This past weekend, I thought it might be fun to see if I could make some lean turkey breakfast sausage.  The extra lean ground turkey (99% fat free) tends to be a little expensive but was on sale... buy one get one free.  Each package was a little over 1 pound so made nearly 2 1/2 pounds of little turkey sausage patties. I cooked them all in a non-stick skillet and froze about two-thirds of them.  The other patties were enjoyed this week in breakfast sandwiches with a scrambled egg and a thin sliced of provolone cheese.  Yum!

The recipe comes from www.food.com.
The rrecipe received "five stars" from reviewers. Some recommended using less sage which I will try next time. Some also recommended adding a bit of brown sugar which I think would also be good.  Here is the recipe link:
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-breakfast-sausage-patties-100408


Ingredients

    • 1 lb ground turkey (my ground turkey package was about 1.25 pounds)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 teaspoons sage (I will use less next time)
    • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    • 1 teaspoon thyme
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (I omitted)
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 1/8 teaspoon allspice











Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients (use less pepper if you don't want a spicy taste) and blend well.
  2. If time permits, refrigerate overnight to let the meat absorb the flavor of the spices.
  3. Form into patties (I used 3 ounces for each patty; next time I will a little less) and cook as needed, freezing leftovers. (I cooked all of the patties right away).
  4. Don't overcook or they will dry out--remove from the heat as soon as they're no longer pink inside, but still juicy. 



 
 
I cooked up some scrambled eggs (one at a time) ahead of time so I could just microwave one sausage patty and one in the morning, toast up the sandwich thin, and add a slice of cheese. I was out the door in a jiffy with a nice hot breakfast. 
 
 

1 comment:

Anna said...

I'll have to try this. We usually buy the refrigerated extra lean turkey sausage, but it seems like it would be fun to make at home. Also, thanks for your comment on Scotcheroos!