Friday, December 21, 2012

The Pioneer Woman Rocks! Spicy Beans Recipe


 
I could not sleep one morning a few weeks back.  I was planning to go grocery shopping later in the day and I had been considering trying some new recipes, so when I got out of bed early I started reading recipes on the blog called The Pioneer Woman and I wrote out my grocery list with the idea in mind that I would try three new recipes.   All three recipes were great.   Here is the first... Spicy Beans.  My husband like this recipe so much, I made it again the very next week at his request.  Great leftovers, great for an easy lunch to bring to work and warm up, great with basmati rice, and great on the pocket book! I figured it out and it's less than $6.00 for the entire pot, even though bacon and bell peppers are on the spendy side.

Spicy Beans
The original Recipe Link is HERE.
By Ree Drummond "The Pioneer Woman"

My alterations are noted below.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound bag dry pinto beans
  • 1/3 of a package of reduced sodium bacon, chopped and cooked
  • 1 whole yellow onion, diced
  • 2 whole red bell peppers, diced
  • 4 to 5 cloves garlic (I used 5 big cloves and left them whole and removed them before serving)
  • 2 whole fresh jalapenos, sliced (I used one big fresh jalapeno)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper

Preparation Instructions

Rinse beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles.

Place beans in a stock pot cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook for 1 hour; drain in a strainer.

Return beans in stock pot and cover with fresh water by 2 inches. Add in the cooked bacon, cover the pot, and simmer for about 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the water level is fine. Add more water as needed.

When beans are nearly tender, throw in diced onion, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno.  Add salt, chili powder (if desired) and pepper, then cover and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until beans are tender. Serve over basmati rice.
Posted by on August 4 2011


I also made Big Fat Bacon Sliders:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/05/big-fat-bacon-sliders/

And I made Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

No comments: