Thursday, January 10, 2013

Banana Yogurt and Pecan Streusel Muffins

 
 
 
 
Banana Yogurt and Pecan Streusel Muffins
The Perfect Banana Muffin Recipe (Jumbo Muffins)
 
I stumbled across this recipe this week and decided to give it a try to use about 5 black bananas in my refrigerator. I throw out too many bananas! All week long, my husband and son kept nagging me about throwing out the black bananas and I insisted I was going to use them.  They kept pestering me insisting I was never going to use them so I had to prove them wrong. I am VERY glad I tried this recipe. These are delicious!  I made a LOT of changes to the original recipe.  I made 16 regular sized muffins; the original recipe indicates this makes only 6 jumbo muffins. Those must be ridiculously big muffins.  The only thing I will do differently next time I make these muffins is double the AWESOME streusel topping.
 
Banana Yogurt & Pecan Streusel Muffins
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups ripe mashed banana (I used 5 bananas)
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup raw-turbinado sugar)
1/2 cup low fat yogurt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 to 1 cup chopped pecans
**********************
 Streusal Topping (next time, I'll double this)
1/3 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup brown sugar 
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
To make streusal topping, combine all ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly.  Sprinkle over muffins before baking.
**********************************************
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
 
Combine first 4 (dry) ingredients in a large sized bowl; stir with a fork or whisk to combine.
 
Combine wet ingredients (bananas, sugar, yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla) in a medium sized bowl; stir well to combine. 
 
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until the ingredients are mixed well; fold in the nuts. Do not over mix.
 
Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon batter into muffin tins.  Sprinkle on the streusell topping.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Test with a toothpick for doneness.   

No comments: