Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chicken Souvlaki

Chicken Souvlaki from "Closet Cooking"
 
One of my favorite cooking blogs is called "Closet Cooking".  The blog writer, Kevin, lives in Canada, and apparently he cooks his scrumptious looking meals in a very tiny kitchen... so it's almost like cooking in a closet.  Everything he makes looks amazing (great food photography).  He uses a lot of ingredients I love and I get a lot of ideas from looking at his recipes.  This week, I decided to make his recipe for Chicken Souvlaki.  He used the chicken in gyros with yogurt sauce but I am just making the chicken to have yummy, easy, lean protein on hand.  The guys are having a beef roast tonight; I am having this instead with some organic brown jasmine rice I found in my cupboard.  I have wanted to try a yogurt-marinated chicken recipe for a long time and this one looked great. I can see varying this marinade in a variety of ways.  Next I'd like to try a version with smoked sweet paprika, garlic, cumin, and coriander.
CHICKEN SOUVLAKI
Ingredients
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 lemon, juice and zest
  • 1 tablespoon yogurt (I used 2 tablespoons)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (I used less than 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 teaspoon oregano (I used Mediterranean Oregano... bought accidentally)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces (I cut 2 chicken breasts into thin strips)
Directions
  1. Mix all of the ingredients, place them in a sealed container along with the chicken and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to overnight.
  2. Skewer the meat, and grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-4 minutes per side. (I skipped the skewer and grilled this in a grill-pan on the stove top).



Delicious!  It was great with the jasmine brown rice.  I just wish I had some broccoli to go with it all. I will definitely be making this again.

No comments: