Saturday, March 9, 2013

Coffee Almond Ice Cream (Reduced Fat)



Coffee Almond Ice Cream (reduced fat version)

I have been wanting to make this Coffee Ice Cream recipe for months and just finally got around to it.
When I was reading the recipe while assembling the ingredients, it occurred to me that this was a recipe where an ice cream maker was not necessary. I decided the tweak the recipe a bit so I could use my ice cream maker to churn and freeze the ice cream.  I also decided to try to make a lower fat version since I know I am the only one in my family who will eat this type of ice cream and I am all about cutting fat and calories where I can.  My recipe changes consisted of using lower fat milk instead of heavy cream and I added non-fat dry powdered milk.  When I made Pumpkin Ice Cream awhile back, I read that the addition of the non-fat dry powdered milk to homemade ice cream helps keep the ice cream creamier (an not icy) upon freezing and hardening.

I am very happy with how this turned out.  My mistake was that I did not allow my ice cream maker's bowl to sit in the freezer long enough.  The manufacture's instructions indicate the liquid-filled bowl should be allowed to sit in the freezer for 16 hours and I tried to make the ice cream after the bowl had only been freezing for about 8 hours.  Never fear... after churning/freezing the ice cream in my ice cream maker and it just wouldn't get any thicker, I just put the ice cream in a plastic storage container with a lid and popped it in the freezer to harden. The ice cream had a nice texture and even tasted better after hardening.

Ingredients
4 teaspoons instant coffee crystals (I used Folgers brand)
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup non-fat dry powdered milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 to 3/4 cup whole raw almonds, toasted and chopped (optional)

In a large bowl, combine instant coffee crystals and hot water. Stir until crystals are dissolved.  Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.  Add in powdered milk and stir until dissolved.  Stir in sweetened condensed milk, milk,  and almond extract.  Cover bowl and refrigerate until very cold.

To toast almonds, place in a dry skillet over medium low to medium heat.  Toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant and some of the almond skins become darkened (about 5 to 7 minutes).  Allow to cool and chop (I used a food chopper like the kind from Pampered Chef).

To churn and freeze the ice cream, place into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.  When ice cream is nearly done churning, add in chopped almonds.  Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream. For a harder consistency, place ice cream in a plastic storage container with a tight fitting lid, and freeze until hardened (or desired consistency).

No comments: